Date of a trade

Stock Talk

Sim Gold

Simcha Goldberg

Hi I am coming from Velocity Trader and there it is organized and I feel a little lost. #1When you issue a trade until when could I execute the trade I don't see any date? #2 About how long does an average trade take?

Donald Lewis

Donald Lewis

I am a newbie to all this — Just curious — why did you switch from Velocity Trader to this?

Linda McDonough

Linda McDonough

Simcha,
The Profit Catalyst Alert system bases trade recommendations based on fundamental research. The options trades are usually tied to an event, which may be an earnings call or an industry conference. Basic long stock ideas are based on valuation, so can be timed when a stock has a drop or simply when I discover it.
Unfortunately, that means the timing of the trades is not tied to a specific schedule. In order to take advantage of the events calendar and good prices on stocks, I cannot offer a fixed schedule.
There are usually 5-6 trades a month. June has been especially busy. I issued 8 options trades (5 buys and 3 sells) and 2 stock trades (1 buy and 1 sell). The holding period on stocks can be quite long, over a year sometimes. Due to the time value on options, the holding period is much shorter, sometimes a few months but much shorter if it produces large gains in a short period.
Many of the long stock positions in the portfolio are still trading under my suggested buy limit prices. Those have a green BUY button on the portfolio page. For the options trades, those buy recommendations are usually actionable for a week after issuance but it’s always good to check in it’s been a while since the alert due to expiration dates.
I hope this answers your questions. If not, please repost follow-ups, I’m happy to answer.
Best,
Linda

Sim Gold

Simcha Goldberg

So anything with a green button is still good to get into?

Add New Comments

You must be logged in to post to Stock Talk