How will I exercise my call options?

Stock Talk

NorMan

NorMan

I am just wondering what will happen when I exercise a call option. Will my broker allow me to buy the stock at the lower price and then immediately sell it at market price? Or do I have to do this myself? Or are we suppposed to just sell our options, maybe?

Linda McDonough

Linda McDonough

Norman,
I have never explicitly exercised our options but prefer to trade them. If a call option is in the money after the expiration date, your broker will automatically exercise it and you will need to put up the capital to purchase the specific number of shares that correspond to your options position at the strike price.
Best,
Linda

NorMan

NorMan

Thanks for your answer, Linda. So when you trade the call before expiration, your profit is about the same as if you bought the shares and sold them right away, right? I have looked at buying Tesla call options, but I think they are quite expensive.

Eddie Bhawanie

Eddie Bhawanie

Hi Linda, a very good morning to you. Linda, could you briefly explain how your stock alerts differ form Jim Fink’s alerts? Accept my gratitude.

Linda McDonough

Linda McDonough

Hi Eddie,
I am not an expert on Jim Fink’s options trading strategies. He is an expert on options pricing and seems to combine this expertise with historical chart patterns to determine which trades will generate the best profit. Many of his trades involve straddles or long/short combinations of various options series.
My options trades are more simple. They are buys of either puts or calls, depending on whether I am bearish or bullish on a stock. I attempt to choose an expiration date and strike price that coordinates with a fundamental news event. I usually sell the option before expiration if it has a significant gain. There are times when the options that I suggest do expire worthless. Of course, I attempt to avoid this situation but it is a real risk. You can see my record with options trades under the closed tab within the portfolio page.
I hope this is helpful.
Best,
Linda

Eddie Bhawanie

Eddie Bhawanie

Hi Linda,

Thank you.

Eddie B.

Add New Comments

You must be logged in to post to Stock Talk