SEP

Stock Talk

JC

JC

what is the plan for SEP. Put assigned today at $30.28. Many thanks.

Ari Charney

Ari Charney

Hi JC,

I am waiting for an opportunity to sell a covered call against the stock. To this end, I’m looking for a premium of $0.40 to $0.50, but the market has obviously not accommodated that yet, especially given the ugly action over the past week.

If the market can shake off its fears, then that should help Enbridge move higher again, which in turn would help SEP move higher, since its value will be pegged, at least loosely, to the deal terms.

Enbridge has offered to acquire the outstanding units of SEP it doesn’t already own by exchanging 1.0123 shares of Enbridge for each share of SEP. Nevertheless, SEP has traded at a 3% to 4% discount to the implied deal value since the offer.

The other potential catalyst would be if SEP’s independent directors negotiate a better deal for unitholders–Enbridge’s at-market offer is an unfriendly attempt to acquire the remaining stake in these assets at bargain prices. I don’t have high hopes for a revised offer, but I’ve seen it happen with other MLPs in the same situation. Any improvement probably wouldn’t be more than 10%, but that’s better than the alternative.

Even if that doesn’t happen, there may be as many as two more growing payouts from SEP before the deal closes. These would total $1.54. And I would expect Enbridge’s subsequent performance would offer the possibility of further share-price appreciation.

So, Enbridge’s initial offer is a raw deal in the near term, but a better end is in sight thereafter.

Ari

JC

JC

Many thanks Ari!

Cyan

Cyan

Hi Ari,

SEP will expire today and I will be assigned.
Please guide on the next steps to take.

Thank you.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

Hi Cyan,

As I mentioned in Friday’s update, Ari is no longer with us and I have taken over portfolio duties for Income Millionaire. Of course, if you don’t want to own SEP you can simply sell the shares that were put to you and be done with it. Alternatively, you can hang on to them and write a covered call option against them to recoup some of the loss. In fact, I intend to issue a covered call recommendation on SEP if/when the current buyout offer is challenged, at which time we should see much better premium for out-of-the-money call options.

Jim

Cyan

Cyan

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information.
I got assigned on SEP and I am fine with it.

I will wait on your recommendation for placing a covered call.

This will be my first time placing a covered call, so I have a question.
Can you please elaborate on what does “current buyout offer is challenged” mean ?

Cyan.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

The reason SEP is trading so low is that its parent company recently announced its intention to acquire SEP in a deal that values it around $31 or so (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/enbridge-announces-simplification-corporate-structure-090000327.html). However, the current offer does not reflect any sort of premium to SEP’s unitholders for agreeing to the deal. I believe the Directors of SEP have a fiduciary obligation to negotiate better terms, even though many of them are also officers of the sponsor so there is a strong conflict of interest that a court would recognize. In other words, I don’t think the current offer is a “done deal” and could end up being enhanced later this year.

Add New Comments

You must be logged in to post to Stock Talk OR create an account