Short Sell Recommendations?

Stock Talk

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

Even though Systematic Wealth is a "long only" trading service, our model can also be used to identify short sell opportunities. I don't anticipate making that a regular part of the service, but I would be willing to issue the occasional short sell alert if enough subscribers would find that useful. If so, let me know and we'll figure out the best way to proceed. Thanks.

Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson

Jim,
Count me in as a subscriber that would find that kind of info “very useful” and would be “quite interested” in the opportunities that such might provide.
From the posts I’ve seen on SW since subscribing, some appear to be novice investors while a bunch of others are pretty savvy old-timers with many kinda in between the two.
Maybe name it a “voluntary bonus with higher risks” and then let each of us decide the best way to play it based on our own individual experience, interests and circumstances.
Some may do nothing with it while a few others may elect to take that occasional higher risk of making a play.
I think the most important point on something like this is that it be identified in no uncertain terms to all subscribers, as “outside the normal long-only opportunities” that SW normally provides and to proceed at your own risk and comfort level.
Just my 2 cents worth.
LJ

black arrow

black arrow

Larry, Good points.
So guess we are in for the world stands still this week tues and Wed til we find out reaction to Fed meeting.
Lets hope they stay out of our way Pal.

Janis Bell

Janis Bell

I’d be interested, but as a novice, I’d need pretty detailed information on how to do it. I’m trying to get my accounts set up for options of all kinds but running into ridiculous delays now for the past 2 weeks.

black arrow

black arrow

They look for key words when filling in info about getting options on your account one word is when they ask you your goals don’t choose long term… select the word *SPECULATION* I forget which broker you said you use? I know there is a woman named LISA who uses fidelity I think and she is very helpful. There is a special area of fidelity she has mentioned.

Janis Bell

Janis Bell

Thanks! Wish you could cut through the red tape; setting up both with Merrill and Schwab. Getting joint account holder’s signature seems to be problem for electronic signatures and faxes and US mail. It’s totally nuts and I’m ready to throw in the towel.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

I know that many of our seasoned options traders use Ameritrade’s “Think or Swim” options trading platform, so you may want to consider that if you can’t get what you want from your current brokers. https://www.thinkorswim.com/t/contact.html

Dramatic License

Dramatic License

I’d be interested in that if if is just something that is an additional “bonus” suggestion as it comes.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

It would be an additional bonus pick, and would not substitute for a regular recommendation. In fact, if I did it I would probably just name the stock and explain why I think it is a good short sale candidate and then leave it up to each of you to figure out the best way to play it. I see a couple right now that look to me that they could really take a beating next week if the market turns south so I may just throw one out there on Monday if there is enough interest. Thanks.

Dramatic License

Dramatic License

Thanks, Jim. That definitely interests me.

black arrow

black arrow

Hi jim,
Sure I would be interested.
Thanks for the idea.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

Okay, after getting your feedback and I went ahead and issued the first 3TL (“3 Time Loser”) alert this morning, so please let me know if you found this to have any value to you. Thank you for taking the time to provide input, and good luck! 🙂

black arrow

black arrow

Hi Jim,
Just to let you knowI saw your post and navigated to it by clicking Alert at top of page – not too hard folks.
Now I will read it over with more coffee – Thanks for a seasonal gift.

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

Thanks, the alert will be sent out shortly so you should also get that later this morning.

Brent

Brent

I have been trading stocks for decades now and of recently have been intrigued with options.

I’ve just set up my option trading with Merrill Lynch and now am reading Jim Fink’s Options Strategy Manual, hopefully start my learning process….

Abhijit D

Abhijit D

Hi Jim – I am one of those “in between” .. Have been stock trading for couple of years now, but never into options. I have done very few covered calls. I would like to consider doing options seriously. What is this 3TL link / document you are referring to? Can you post a link.

Abhijit D

Abhijit D

I see the 3TL alert now. It was in SW .. 🙂

greenmaster

greenmaster

what’s the 3tl? Stock Short? I didn’t get that 1. Missed it. What are we doing with this? 🙂

Jim Pearce

Jim Pearce

greenmaster

greenmaster

If this is the type of short stock picks you come up with, I can’t wait to see what you tell us in the future? 3TL AKA:CTAS is going to get hammered today. You hit this one out of the park. Just awesome. Thanks.

Pi Chi

Pi Chi

HI Jim. I would like you to offer more specifics concerning the use of options as a part of your recommendations. It would allow us to take a position with a smaller cash outlay. Thanks

black arrow

black arrow

more specific seems better to me.
I think we need to be moving with the overall direction of the mkts.
And this would make it easier for more members; however ‘puts’ more burden on you.

Rick W.

Rick W.

Hi Jim,

I agree with other posts that request more specifics with regard to options. It would be most helpful to me if, on a long put for example, you specified what you feel is the optimum strike price, corresponding expiration date and a limit price.

I personally have no interest in spreads or watching the market all day every day but I do have the time and inclination to act on your recommendations on a timely basis.

Add New Comments

You must be logged in to post to Stock Talk OR create an account